Friday, June 25, 2010

Peanut Butter Blondies

With homemade chocolate frosting. Need I say more?

I think I need to start a "chocolate and peanut butter" section in my recipes. There are few things I love and appreciate more than the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. And when the peanut butter comes in blondie form? Yes, yes, and yes.


Alright - I'll admit it. This recipe breaks one of my cardinal rules of baking - it requires using the stove. I'm a no-fuss baker. If I can make it all in one bowl, I will. Using the stove = extra pots to clean, extra time, and extra patience. I don't have patience. But for this particular choco/PB combo, I'll have to stick it out. This is just one recipe you can't walk away from.

As always, thanks again, Joy the Baker! Truly the most fabulously delicious baking recipes out there. If you haven't yet, you must go check her out!

Here we go...

Combine 10 tablespoons unsalted butter with 2 cups dark brown sugar in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir until the butter melts, then remove from heat. It should look something like this...

Oh, hello. Don't you look gorgeous!



Add 1 cup of natural peanut butter. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.

Whisk in two eggs and two teaspoons vanilla. Look at these cute little guys from a local farm! 


Mix together 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. 
Spread into a 9x13 pan and bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.

Meanwhile, get started on that chocolate frosting. 

Uh huh. Looks about right. Somewhere between chocolately heaven and fluffy frosting goodness.

Beat 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter with 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 cup powder sugar and 1 tablespoon milk - beat until combined. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk - beat until fluffy. Melt 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet) in the microwave and add to the mixture.

Saving these babies for Emily's grad party tomorrow. They are currently sitting in a neat little tupperware at my feet as I ride the Greyhound back home. Must resist. Must. resist.

3 comments:

  1. We were inspired and made a batch. Awesome!
    -the Smiths

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear someone out there is benefitting from my recipes!! Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete