Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mom in Boston!!

This week, my mom and three aunts made the trip to Boston for a quick visit. My mom came to read to and cook with my class (adorable!), I got some quality mother-daughter time, and the five of us tried some good eats in Boston. Thursday night we went to Legal Sea Foods, and, despite the hype, I am sorry to admit that I was very disappointed. Two things: 1.) the service was terrible. We waited for a really long time for silly things, like the bread basket and bowls of soup. And 2.) my food was average at best. I'll admit that I'm not a seafood fan, so it was a little tough for me to find something on the menu. But, when I saw the Goat Cheese, Avacado, Apple, Roasted Red Pepper, and Tortilla Salad, I thought I had found a winner. WRONG! The dressing was gross, the tortilla chips were soggy, and there was roughly 1 1/2 pieces of avacado in the whole dish. But I digress. I'm not usually one to totally bad-mouth a restaurant upon first taste, but I guess I just expected more from a place I had heard so much about. LSF did have one redeeming quality, which was their "Haitian Rum Raisin Bread Pudding" (pictured below). With a homemade caramel sauce and all proceeds going to the Haitian relief effort, it was a sweet ending to the night.

Friday night I got out of work early (score!), and watched a gorgeous sunset from the hotel room, then had a wonderful Italian dinner at Davio's on Arlington St. Unfortunately the lighting was very low inside the restaurant, so none of my pictures came out. I ordered the Homemade Butternut Squash Ravioli, with Chanterelle mushrooms and a Madeira cream sauce. Helllloooo deliciousness! My mom and Aunt Barb both sent me home with half of their dishes - I know what I'll be eating this weekend! We split the Molten Lava chocolate cake, which they put in the oven when you order it so it comes out piping hot and oozing with chocolatey goodness.
It was so exciting to eat at two restaurants I had been hoping to try out. Davio's = winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment