Monday, July 26, 2010

Homemade Veggie Burgers

Yummers! Lately I've been trying to take my flexitarianism to a whole new level. *Cough* The truth: I had a few burger/bacon/chicken-filled weeks of complete carnivorism and I am trying to take it down a notch. The hardest part of trying to eat less meat, for me, is making sure I still get enough protein. Luckily, I found a recipe in Everyday Food magazine (amazing amazing - best subscription I have) for these EASY meat-free burgers. And the best part? Low fat, and packed with protein.

I have to be honest, though. Here is what the "burger patty" looked like when I followed the recipe:

Don't you worry. I am a whiz in the kitchen. I put on my culinary thinking cap, rummaged in the cupboard for some bread crumbs, threw in another egg, and....

Success!

Topped with an avocado, sans bun (so yummy it didn't need one!), and served with a side of sweet potato wedges. 

Here is the recipe (adapted from Everyday Food):
Ingredients
1/2 cup bulgur 
1 cup boiling water
1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 eggs
1/2 - 3/4 cup bread crumbs
salt & pepper
olive oil

Instructions
Combine bulgar with boiling water and cover until bulgar has absorbed the water (about 30 minutes). Place the bulgar in a fine strainer to drain excess water. Combine with remaining ingredients, seasoning liberally with salt and pepper. Form into 1/2 cup patties, and cook in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until brown on both sides and cooked through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment