Thursday, July 1, 2010

Homemade Strawberry Jam


Strawberry season is upon us! Is there anything better?



Today I set out to make Buscia's secret strawberry jam recipe. Here's what I learned:

It is not so secret at all. It's actually on the back of the pectin pack.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? Here I am, envisioning Buscia spending hours over the stove perfecting her secret recipe, and its really just three steps and three ingredients. It's sort of like finding out Santa isn't real. But, to her credit, Buscia's strawberry jam is the best I've ever tasted!

Here we go...
Cut off the tops of 4lbs of strawberries (mashed = ~4cups). No, this does not mean 4 cartons. 

Yes, I went a little overboard on strawberry purchasing.

Now, smooooosh them! I used a potato masher and it worked beautifully.

Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and one pack of fruit pectin. Stir for three minutes, and voila!

Homemade strawberry jam!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I would attempt this in a heartbeat because strawberries are my FAVORITE but I would probably eat all 4 pounds before they ever made it into the pot. How long does jam last in the refrigerator? What a fantastic hostess gift to bring for summer barbecues!

    ReplyDelete