Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fresh tomato and ricotta salad

LOOK at those gorgeous tomatoes! Usually I am not a tomato fan, but I can't help but love the fresh, juicy, local tomatoes popping up all over farmers markets! I am also a h-u-u-u-u-g-e fan of ricotta. Mmm, mm, good. I found another easy Everyday Food recipe that combined the two! Here's what you need:

 1 1/2 lb day-old crusty bread, cut into one inch cubes

2 lb tomatoes, cut into one inch cubes
1/2 small red onion, cut in thin strips
1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
*I used 1/3 of a fresh zucchini, because I had it on hand
1 15oz container of ricotta cheese, drained
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Three easy steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and toast the bread cubes for 20 minutes.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients (except ricotta), and toss with toasted bread.
3. Allow the mixture to sit for 20-30 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed all of the liquids.
Serve with a dollop of ricotta cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.

So fresh and easy - a perfect summer dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment