Sunday, March 21, 2010

Quinoa!


This week, I learned about quinoa. A "perfect" protein. It's a whole grain that is slightly crunchy and has a nutty flavor when you cook it. Quinoa is really versatile and can be cooked with lots of ingredients - I made a "dinner" batch and a sweeter "breakfast" batch. For dinner, I followed a recipe adapted from one I found in Food and Wine magazine, Roasted Squash with Quinoa Salad.

While the quinoa was cooking, I made some dressing to mix in
Olive oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Honey
S&P






Chopped up onions, apples, parsley and garlic. I also threw in pecans and cranberries.
Meanwhile, there was squash roasting in the oven. Yum!
Mix it all up, and there you have it, quinoa salad on top of roasted butternut squash!















And then, breakfast quinoa!
So so good, and really easy!
Boil 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups milk. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and berries.
Thanks for the recipe, Tracey!

1 comment: