Monday, February 15, 2010

Ricotta Pancakes with Berries


I had a *surprise* day off from work on Friday, so I did a little shopping. Rephrase: wandered around Crate&Barrel for an hour and emerged with two exciting purchases: a pancake spatula and a set of ramekins!! I obviously needed to try out the spatula asap so I made some fancy-shmancy ricotta pancakes on Saturday. The ramekins came in handy to show off the yummy berry sauce I made to put on top.

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients
1 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
pinch salt
3/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
3 eggs, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
1. Put the ricotta in a fine mesh strainer and let drain for 30 minutes
2. Whisk together dry ingredients
3. Combine ricotta, egg yolks, milk and vanilla in a seperate bowl
4. Beat egg whites until stiff
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients and gently fold in egg whites
6. Cook on a greased pan for 3-4 minutes on each side
I served mine with a berry sauce, which was simply frozen berries heated in the microwave with some sugar and vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment